Every person is beautiful in their way, but some want to enhance what they already have. For others, that involves a sharp jawline. With a well-defined jaw, you can enjoy taking selfies and enjoy a younger-looking appearance.
For people struggling with neck fat, this is THE goal. Neck fat (otherwise known as “double chin” or “turkey neck”) isn’t necessarily a sign of poor health, but it can be an unattractive quality that some people want to address.
Some people who want to get rid of the fat around their neck immediately think surgery is the ONLY solution. While surgery can help you get rid of neck fat, there are plenty of non-surgical options that also work — as long as you’re willing to commit to some health improvements and lifestyle changes.
What Causes Neck Fat?
So, why do you get a double chin in the first place?
Neck fat is excess fat that stays in the area underneath your chin (aka the submental space). Excess fat under the chin can be caused by different factors:
- Age. As you age, your skin starts to lose its elasticity. This leads to the appearance of saggy or extra skin that can lead to a double chin.
- Weight and diet. While weight gain isn’t always the primary culprit behind a double chin, it often contributes to it. If your diet is rich in unhealthful fats, high in calories and full of processed foods may also influence weight gain and the formation of neck fat.
- Posture. Poor posture weakens the muscles of the chin and neck. This can contribute to the formation of a double chin over time, especially since the surrounding skin will lose its elasticity when you don’t use these muscles.
- Genes. Your genes also have a say in your double chin problem. If you have a family history of double chins or have skin with little elasticity, you are most likely to develop neck fat.
What are the Effects of Neck Fat?
As mentioned above, double chins are often harmless. They are not considered medical emergencies. However, they do come with a couple of cons, which include the following:
- It can make you look older, especially if the fat is on your neck and face.
- Neck fat can also affect your balance. Your neck supports your head, which makes it responsible for the balance. When you have a big belly, your center of gravity shifts forward. In the case of neck fat, your shoulders tend to sag forward and your neck muscles work double-time to keep your back straight.
- If you suffer from bad posture, you leave little room for the fat on the sides of your neck and around the chin area.
How To Get Rid of Neck Fat Naturally
Some people struggling with neck fat often think that surgery is the only way to address their problem. On the contrary, there are many ways to naturally lose your neck fat and build your dream jawline.
Here are some strategies:
Decrease Your Calorie Intake
The surest and most proven way to get rid of neck fat is to lose excess weight.
Typically, decreasing your calorie consumption by 500 calories is a good place to start. If you eat 500 fewer calories a day, you can lose a pound a week. If you keep up this diet over time, expect consistent weight loss that results in less fat overall, with the face and neck often some of the most obvious areas that will benefit from the decrease in calorie consumption.
Decreasing your calorie intake, however, doesn’t mean that you have to starve yourself. Starvation ruins your metabolism. Plus, not eating will deprive your body of healthy minerals and vitamins.
Fill Your Diet with Fruits, Veggies and Lean Protein
If you’re going to reduce your calories, enrich your diet with the right food: fruits, veggies and lean protein. A diet consisting of all three can help you maintain a healthy appearance and better posture.
If you have a sweet tooth, swap your favorite sweet treats for fruits instead. This little tweak guarantees an incremental weight loss and more vitamins and minerals. On the other hand, vegetables can also help you trim down your body fat.
Lean proteins can help you feel full for longer, unlike carbohydrates. Make sure your meals always include a serving of protein. Examples of lean protein are poultry, eggs, tofu, nuts, seafood, lean beef and low-fat dairy.
Watch Your Portions
In line with eating healthy, make sure that your food is in portions. If you eat a big meal before bedtime, you won’t just increase the likelihood of chin fat; you’ll wake up feeling full and grumpy. Instead of eating one big meal, spread out your meals throughout the day. Why not eat three smaller meals? Also, going an hour without eating anything can help you shed the excess pounds.
Do More Cardio
Another sure way to get rid of neck fat is doing plenty of cardio exercises like jogging, walking or cycling every day. Cardio exercises increase your heart rate, which flushes out toxins through sweat and helps you burn excess calories. Regular cardio can also lower your blood pressure, keep your heart healthy and keep your neck in good shape.
Do Chin Tucks
Some people believe that chewing gum is the way to lose neck fat. In reality, it’s not. Gum chewing can strengthen the muscles used for jawing, but it doesn’t affect the appearance of your neck.
However, chin tucks can help you achieve a slimmer neck, as well as improve the appearance of your face and chest. To do effective chin tucks, trace your jawline with your index finger and tighten the muscles in that area. Pretend as if you’re trying to pinch something in between them. Hold your position for about 10 seconds.
How to Get Rid of Neck Fat with a Professional’s Help
If the natural methods don’t work for you, you can always get in touch with a cosmetic aesthetician to help you out.
Some of your options include:
- Lipolysis treatment. If you want immediate results, ask your doctor about lipolysis treatments. You have two options: injections or lasers. Injection lipolysis uses a solution that dissolves the fat cells, reducing the appearance of your double chin. On the other hand, laser lipolysis targets the fat cells and melts them with a laser. Both options are painless, but there are side effects like bruising, swelling and pain.
- CoolSculpting. This works like laser lipolysis, but instead of melting the fat cells, it freezes them. Your body will then expel these dead fat cells, leaving you with the jawline you’ve always wanted.
- Kybella. Also known as mesotherapy, Kybella treatment involves the injection of a deoxycholic acid solution that eradicates fat cells.
You deserve to feel more confident. Getting rid of neck fat need not be an impossible feat. There are natural and medically-assisted ways to reduce the fat in your neck and enjoy a sharper jawline.